SAP HANA System Replication is a feature of SAP HANA that provides high availability and disaster recovery capabilities for SAP HANA databases. It allows you to create and maintain one or more standby systems that can take over the primary system’s operations in the event of a failure or planned downtime.
System Replication works by continuously replicating the data and log entries from the primary SAP HANA system to one or more secondary systems. The secondary systems, also known as replicas, are kept in sync with the primary system through synchronous or asynchronous replication methods.
Here are some key aspects of SAP HANA System Replication:
- High Availability: System Replication ensures high availability by automatically switching to a secondary system if the primary system fails. This helps minimize downtime and ensures business continuity.
- Disaster Recovery: System Replication serves as a disaster recovery solution by providing a standby system that can be activated in the event of a catastrophic failure or a planned downtime for maintenance.
- Synchronous and Asynchronous Replication: SAP HANA supports both synchronous and asynchronous replication modes. In synchronous replication, transactions are committed on the primary and secondary systems simultaneously, ensuring zero data loss but potentially impacting performance. Asynchronous replication introduces a slight delay in data replication, providing better performance but with a possibility of some data loss in case of a failure.
- Automatic Failover and Switchover: When a failure is detected on the primary system, System Replication automatically triggers a failover to one of the secondary systems. In planned scenarios, you can initiate a switchover to the secondary system for maintenance activities, allowing the primary system to be offline temporarily.
- Monitoring and Administration: SAP HANA provides tools and monitoring capabilities to manage and monitor the System Replication setup. You can monitor the replication status, perform failover or switchover operations, and configure various parameters related to replication behavior.
SAP HANA System Replication plays a crucial role in ensuring the availability and resilience of SAP HANA databases, making it a critical component for mission-critical applications running on SAP HANA.